Friday, January 21, 2005

my mic sounds nice -- check ONE!

ok -- new list of my favorite emcees. i knew those thousands of free cd's in exchange for reviews instead of cash would pay off!

top twenty fav/emcees (in no specific order):

pharoah monch
outkast
2pac
krs-one
rah digga
shawnna (circa infamous syndicate)
ghostface
eminem
mos def
jay-z
common
talib kweli
nas
notorious BIG
rakim
ice cube
busta rhymes
redman
poison pen (yup, good ole nepotism!)
buckshot (tie with him and MF DOOM. i like him -- just not as much as jive LOL!)

who am i missing?

2 comments:

M.C. Siegel said...

Hey! I didn't know you had a blog!

As far as the list goes, you've got most of your bases covered. Umm...I could get all underground and go for some Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, and sheet like that. And I'd at least consider throwing Method Man up there, even if only for "Tical." I personally like some Jurassic 5 (esp. Chali 2na), maybe Gangstarr, and just to get nostalgic I'd indulge the guilty pleasure that is Bone Thugs N Harmony. Ya gotta throw some love to Tribe Called Quest. Blackalicious might make the cut for me too. And if none of that suits ya, there's always Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Young MC, Ton Loc, and Digital Underground. I'm a child of the 80s....please don't hate me ;-)

I'll throw a link up to your site. Love ya like St. Louis poets love the thought of escape....MCS

Mahogany L. Browne said...

whoa! did you say young mc? im from oakland i know mc hammer aint one of the greatest mc's - incredible entertainer (absolutely) but emcee? im having a heartattack over here! lol
vanilla ice? another good entertainer, he didn't even write his rhymes so he can't be up for discussion! matthew... i am so hurt! lol
i do feel i missed a couple. i love cali agents and pharcyde and DOC... no meth though. he only shines with redman and that's not enough! although him and mary made history...