Wednesday, March 23, 2005

pick up ya face!

damn. first class with critique session. aka slice ya creative throat with a rusty butter knife!

i leaped at the chance for this course because i need a soundboard. i am trying different things with my writing and wanted different ears to listen. besides the facilitator is out of this world!

so when the session started. i volunteered to read over mine first. i wanted to get that ish out the way. and it was funny. how it started off first, slowly. this was nice. this was good. this made me feel like aight... -- then it hit! it was so painful - it reminded me of the first time an editor massacred, ahem, i mean edited my profile piece for XXL. i was a mere intern and was so proud to have an assignment within a couple of weeks on the job. after i got back the piece - i didn't even remember writing that shyt! i was like -- i said that? i don't even talk like that --this was a close second. they didn't rewrite my poem -- the ideas were cool, its good to hear what your readers perspective. but that don't make the cuts less painful, just easier to mend.

the two experiences were parallel. except this time i didn't roll my head like an Oakland chick -- instead i took notes. said thank you after the slaughter, and went to the rest room to assure no scars were visible. art be like that though. no one wants to hear they have an ugly baby -- and my writing is my child. i wanna hear it has my eyes. and is smart and funny... i don't wanna hear -- "wow. it looks just like you!"

back to the drawing board...word

4 comments:

Rich Villar said...

I like how you say this:

"i wanna hear it has my eyes. and is smart and funny... i don't wanna hear -- 'wow. it looks just like you!'"

It's all about the details...that's what makes you unique as a writer. Human being, too.

Editor at XXL: assface.

Cave Canem edits: nice!

A friend once told me to be mindful of where you want your writing to go. Editors, workshops, MFA programs, significant others, morons, gypsies, tramps, and theives...each have an idea for the kind of writer THEY want to see you be. But rarely do they have an idea of who you really are.

I know the folks in that Cave Canem workshop, and I know that they're the rarities that will let you run with what makes you YOU....and make you write like a razor in the process.

werd.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

word up - i already finished my first rewrite *did that joint when i got home from class* and it came out crazy. im about to start throwing all my questionable ish to them. they just make you dig deeper. but we know that process is painful regardless of the beauty that rises from the ashes.

ps -- cast is off! ready to salsa at 13 on MONDAY! well not really, but sorta! :)

Anonymous said...

hey Mo,
I miss you man! Aja told me she had a meeting with you and it was good. Sounds like ur better."i wanna hear it has my eyes. and is smart and funny... i don't wanna hear -- 'wow. it looks just like you!'" <--- that had me dying! I can't wait to see you!
~hollise~

Mahogany L. Browne said...

hey lovely! i can't tell you how much i miss you girls! i hope you are attending my women in hip hop workshop @ urban word. it starts this monday 430. you know the deal. anyone else interested www.urbanwordnyc.org

hollise, i wanna hear some new poems, ma. i know you are working that pen out! come early with aja, maybe you help mentor as well.