Monday, March 07, 2005

race relations

as a darker skinned black girl growing up in sunny california, i have always been reminded that i was not deemed pretty. everyone in my immediate family (excluding my sister) was fair skinned and all my friends were fair-skinned as well. throughout grammar school and middle school and well into my sophmore year of highschool, the boys in my age group never let me forget that light skin was in. and white or asian was even better. so i did other things to make them fall for me. i was a champion kick ball competitor, tetherball contender, huffy bike racing all around tomboy. i thought, hey -- if i could be there friend long enough - we would turn into an afterschool special romance. it never happened. instead they always befriended me to hook them up with my best friend leeanna (think aaliyah). it went on like this for years. in highschool, i fell for my daughter's father because he prided himself in being attracted to dark skinned woman (though his ex before me was fair skin) so with him, i thought i atleast had a shot (ed note - i learned later that he was just telling me what i obviously feared, as he would cheat on me with a white chick named bobbie). it wasn't until i turned 21 that i realized i too was flyy!

now, the brown paper bag conditioning was something that played a huge role in my life even if i didn't realize it. my maternal grandfather had a serious color complex that my grandmother called him on. my mother tried to tell me often that i was as pretty as my cousins who had long beautiful hair and fair skin -- but tv and everything around me told me otherwise. besides, my mother and her fair complexioned freckled face couldn't tell me nothing when i watched men fall over her redbone beauty. i listened to my aunts compliment my caramel complexioned cousins calling them pretty and little black girls like me received compliments like funny or smart.

that being said. i was very aware of my place in the dating pool chain. i attended a high school with the majority population consisting of asians, then white, then black and mexicans. the athletes were usually black men who then dated asian girls. some of them dated black and mexicans, few of them dated white. it was considered taboo -- and if they did admit to dating different races, but only under the circrumstances that they were easier to deal with and didn't talk back like black girls.

this would be my first negative experience with interracial dating. i myself thought white guys were cute -- but none of them ever showed interest in me, so i kept my appreciation for white men limited to luke perry, richard grieco and mark walhberg (yo -- don't HATE!) as far as dating white men. i tried, several times. i thought, if they were nice, why not? however, i kept running into white boys who wanted to be black boys so much that they had the hip hop act down to a tee. one white boy refused to date white girls, saying he needed a BLACK QUEEN in his life. and the other one who supposedly had a crush on me -- then hollered at one of my good friends teneisha. before dumping her and getting with her older sister. this would be my second negative experience with interracial dating.

that said. i've had my encounters. so obviously, i didn't think it totally wrong. but as i grew older and went to college and watched the black athletes refuse black women strictly because they deemed black girls as "gold diggers", "mouthy & with too much attitude" and "sexually inhibited", i began to form an opinion. i began listening to the concerns of black women who were alone and feeling desperate to an extent and felt their pain. the same pain that i nursed during grammar school and middle school. i watched women dye their hair blond, lose weight until they were on the brink of an eating disorder and compromise themselves for a chance at someone who didn't want them. someone who seemed enamored by everything that they weren't. and it hurt. while i never fell into the trap of trying to become what Vogue, Vanity Fair & Cosmo deemed as beautiful, i beat myself up mentally for it. soon, a black dude with a white girl would pass me and i would start to pinpoint the differences between her and i. what she had that i didnt -- i didn't even have to be attracted to him! and afterwards i would always feel less than.

now, after i turned 21 and came into my womanness (so to speak) i became very brash and comfortable with my body. my new body, since i just had a daughter. and i attracted a different type of man. and since i was newly single (as i just found out about the other woman) i became more intune with men and the dating pool. it was during this time, that i felt the most secure. i would see interracial couples and not have a breakdown mentally. i didn't feel like i was less than the white girl on a black man's arm -- i just felt different. but when i heard comments from charles barkley and dennis rodham bad mouthing black women -- i felt betrayed. but quickly categorized them as stupid (taking note they had an uncanny resemblance to the ball players at my alumi mater Kennedy High). and i took my newfound love for poetry as a voice for these concerns.

i would talk to men who dated outside of the race and try to understand. i wanted to understand why there were more black men that dated outside of their race than woman. i wanted to know what was the difference, or if there was one. i wanted to know what black women did wrong. in many cases -- they would say the same thing: "they are easier, dont talk back. give me money, buy me things". and after awhile, i believed it. now, i dont think all interracial couples have this foundation. i think the unhealthy ones (like any other relationship) do. when i moved to NYC, i was like damn -- its high school all over again. i was in creative meetings listening to men talk about puerto rican woman like they were hot food. i've heard men say she's hot -- but her accent is too thick, she can't talk during sex! that disgusts me on sooo many levels, i can't begin to tell you.
in NYC, Latinas were hypersexualized and soon i would have to write a review about Black Eyed Peas for a hip hop publication and ripped into them for a song they had about Spanish Women. limiting their attraction to these women by using adjectives used when describing mexican food.

and it was here, in NYC, that i would have my first bout with this uneasy attraction. i dated a spanish cat. upon introduction i thought he was Black and later found out he was Dominican. no problem. i learned from dating a Puerto Rican model during my first months in NYC that it was considered disrespect if you mistook the two - so i thought i was in the clear when i told my new friend "oh, i thought you were black when i first met you". homeboy flipped out -- told me
he wasn't BLACK he was DOMINCAN. i asked him about the slave trade and the boats and the background of domincans -- i mean, i thought it was cool. he made sure i understood it wasn't and went so far as to tell me, if anything "I call myself a SPANISH NIGGA, but i AINT BLACK and i don't care what the history books say." ughhh, ok??? i tried not to sweat it -- if anything, i understood being a bit tight about certain ancestral things (ahem, my lightskin/darkskin complex) -- so we continued to hang out. it was soon after this incident when he would reveal his interest in me was simply because i was so soulful... i was soulful with an afro and just SO black. i was shell shocked.

and it was here, in NYC that i met my good friend and ex-roomate (by default, lol) Vic. she is a fair skinned beautiful and intelligent sista who with both Black and White parents. she admitted to me the inner battles a multi-cultural woman has to deal with:

1)black people who hate her cause she thinks she is better than them/treated better
2)white people who hate her cause she's not ALL white
3)people who are attracted to her because she is exotic

she admitted she always wanted to have dark skin. she envied my afro and said their was no denying i belonged. she was challenged daily about her birthrite. i never EVER thought of it from her perspective. and was totally and utterly ashamed of ever passing judgement. i guess the grass is always greener...

all that said let me make this sparkling clear: i believe in love.

if that means homosexual partners or interracial couples. i do not agree with people who refuse to date someone that may be the same race as they are -- i think thats a whole 'nother level of self hate (like a dude telling me white girls ain't got flava -- and he's white?!)...

now i don't have a problem expressing the pain that black women may/have feel. this being the catalyst for many conversations between J and I. i mean, if we don't talk about it -- black men will continue thinking "aw she's just jealous" -- instead of "damn, we have some deep psychological ish in our background. she may feel this way because this"...that's a giant leap in understanding the sexes!
and through these conversations, i have learned that there is nothing wrong with people having preferences (i.e., tall, short, voluptous, petite) -- though i'm sure there is a fine line treaded.

6 comments:

Susie said...

This was really interesting to read since I don't understand any of these race relations or how it is "over there". My daughter is white (because Finnish people are white, can't do anything about that :)). She's going to marry a black American and he's going to move to Finland and live with her here. For us their relationship doesn't feel interracial, it feels more international, in the way that it would be the same thing if she would be marrying a white American.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

that is really incredible. i wish america was more like finland. the willie lynch letters (instructional manual writter for slave masters) is still at work. black people seperated by light and dark. black men snatched from the family's and bred throughout the colonies of slaves. these things still affect our community NOW, whether we choose to see it or not. however, i noticed while touring Europe and the UK, interracial couples were prominent and even represented on TV (that only recently happened within the past 5 years here in the states) however, in the UK the african woman seem to be in the same position as african-american women.

congratulations on your daughter's marriage -- love is flyy!

Amanda Johnston said...

As a biracial woman (black and white and often assumed Puerto Rican) I’ve experienced the same feelings your friend expressed. I think the first thing we all need to do is recognize that “race” doesn’t exist. It is purely the systematic, government sponsored, patriarchal “divide and conquer” mechanism use to ensure a cheap labor force. Biologically we are no different. With that said physical preferences will exist for example: light/dark skin, long/short hair, large/thick/thin, etc. I believe these physical preferences are no different than preferences in music, art, food, etc. However, the socially acceptable definitions of beauty, wealth, and power that are fed to the general public through mainstream media control us – if we let it. This is to say that my preference to like a woman with green eyes is not going to harm anyone, but if I like a woman with green eyes because I believe this will make me look powerful, because I think she will be more docile and easier to control, or because I have been led to believe that all other women who do not have green eyes will treat me poorly – preferences based on these beliefs are harmful as they are preferences instilled in us by a controlling class that what – wants to divide and conquer us. Think Bacon’s Rebellion.

1675 – 1676 Bacon's Rebellion demonstrated that poor whites and poor blacks could be united in a cause. This was a great fear of the ruling class -- what would prevent the poor from uniting to fight them? This fear hastened the transition to racial slavery.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1p274.html

I will end with one last comment: never offer an opinion as an absolute truth and try to function outside of your epistemological cul-de-sac of personal experience. That is to say just because you feel one way or have had certain experiences one’s personal life doesn’t represent a whole people. One of the most hurtful things ever said to me by a good friend regarding race was, “You don’t know what it is like to be a black woman! You don’t understand what slaves went through!” Am I not a black woman? Have I not been called nigger, spat at, and denied, etc. because of the color of my skin? Before assuming one need only ask. Also, remember, most of the first slave children born in this new land were biracial and favored the ship’s white crewmen more than their African mothers. Biracial children struggled from the beginning and have their own struggles today. Stop letting the ruling class divide and conquer us. Love is love and ignorance is bliss.

Mahogany L. Browne said...

amanda - the friend that offered you that speech, was wack. period.

thanks for the link -- imma check it out.

the main reason these obstacles continue to exist is because the communication is cut and movies like jungle fever and zebrahead offer clean cut views about a subject with a myriad of colors and views. again, i believe in love. healthy love. two people of different races, same sexes - it doesn't matter to me. life is entirely too short.

i agree with your view on the systematic government sponsored categories. but most people don't and can't. it took me talking to others, researching and living outside my neighborhood to see the importance of loving beyond the boundaries of what others deem as appropriate. most people aren't capable of doing this. i STILL have cousins that mistake cubans for mexicans and say without missing a breath "what's the difference?" the boxes we live in encourage this behavior and without exercising the demon -- it will continue to mislead a generation of people.

lastly.
i dig the green eyes analogy and your point of view, but what the hell is epistemological?

Amanda Johnston said...

epis•te•mo•log•i•cal - Study of the origin, nature, and limits of human knowledge.

"Limits of human knowledge" - simply put, running off at the mouth like what you experienced is the way it is for everyone else. We all do this from time to time.

Example: A woman in my logic class said, "Drug testing has nothing to do with class or race because my boyfriend gets tested and he's a pharmacist." A) He's a pharmacist so of course he gets tested to make sure he's not helping himself to the supply. B) She's white and he's white (as well as sheltered) and they believe that since they have not lived a life that involves racial profiling, negative stereotyping, etc. that it doesn’t happen to other people.

M.C. Siegel said...

Hey Mo,

Looking back at my own life, it's striking how thoroughly conditioned we are into one standard of beauty or another. Growing up as a white boy in suburbia my standard of beauty was completely "white." It wasn't that I was inculcated into a certain conception of beauty that actively denied the beauty or others (blacks, latinas, etc...), it was just so implicit in everything around me that this was what I was supposed to do (date white girls) that I hardly stopped to question it (nor was there any reason to when practically every girl I saw or talked to was white as well).

The other day I happened to glance at one of my old yearbooks and saw a picture of this girl who went to school with me. She was this gorgeous black girl who, today, I'd go out with in a heartbeat. The strange part looking back is how the racism implicit in my upbringing precluded my looking at her in a sexual light (it also probably had something to do with the fact that I was a confused 13 year old...to be fair). And what's odd for me is trying to figure out where it came from. My parents never espoused that kind of logic. Kids at school did, which probably played some factor, but not much considering how little mind I paid them regarding issues of race, or really anything that mattered in the least. I think what's truly insidious, looking back, is how subtle the whole process is by which you come to accept one color-coded, and implicitly racist standard of beauty, and deny another without even realizing that you've made a choice-- or what the connotations of that choice might be.

Interracial dating seems completely natural to me now, but I can't help but believe that it seems easier to me living in a place like New York than it would in Des Moines, Iowa. Living in a multicultural melting pot makes it harder to fit everyone into the nice, neat, little boxes we're constantly trying to fit ourselves into. When people ask me "what I am", it honestly gets on my nerves for a number of reasons:

1)I have absolutely no connection to my history, to my ancestry. My "culture" can only be referred to as "american" "suburban" or "white." And yet none of that captures who I am. Anyone who knows me knows that I have about as much in common with your average white, suburban American as Hitler and Albert Einstein. We may be similar on the surface...that's about it.

2)As a consequence, there's nothing of any substance that you can learn from where "I'm from." Sure, you can learn where I fit in a socio-historical context. But ultimately that tells you nothing about me, individually, and usually leads to stereotyping.

3)That tendency to try to fit me into a box, to fit us all into boxes, is at the heart of the present dilemma. It's only the constant reinforcement of arbitrary definitions of "black" and "white" that has allowed it to go on this long, and the longer we go on reinforcing it, the longer it will be before we can move on to making more meaningful distinctions concerning what actually matters when categorizing human beings.

Everyone can make a million arguments for when it's okay to find someone attractive, and when it does more damage than good (and it appears as though everyone has). From a social perspective I hope that "race" as a concept will gradually become obsolete, or at least revised to the point where it makes any kind of sense, to the point where it can tell you more than where you fall along some antiquated color coded hierarchy. But to simply deny the significance of "race" within the current milieu is flat out naive.

The concept of international dating, as opposed to interracial dating, is intriguing, but still fails to adequately address the issues at hand. In this scheme, where would I fall in the spectrum? Am I identified with europeans to who I have no connection? Am I simply "American"? If so, how can this tell you anything about the diversity of cultures and opinions within this country? And finally, you can't deny the reality of race as a significant construct. You can't theorize it out of existence. The reality is that we're all grouped into historically contingent and conditioned notions of "race" and that these present day evaluations play a huge role in how your life will unfold. Assuming you were born here, where you're descended from will matter very little unless you're raised within a family and community that still celebrates that culture. I'm not Irish or Russian. I couldn't tell you any more about those places your typical college graduate. At this point I'm "white by default"...too light to be considered anything else...too distant from my heritage to cling to my hyphen-american as some kind of meaningful distinction.

To get to the heart of the matter: ultimately, you have to find what's going to make you happy, and if dating someone outside of your designated "race" does it for you, then more power to you. Are there serious obstacles to maintaining a successful interracial relationship? Undoubtedly. But only the continued willingness of people to transgress those arbitrary "boundaries" will lead to their eventual abolition and obsolesence.

I love all women. Regardless of what color their skin might be. And while I have my own stereotypes (as we all do...if you think you don't then you're only fooling yourself), I don't let them dictate the terms of my relationship with someone else (insofar as that's possible). If someone fulfills a stereotype, so be it. Stereotypes are tricky in that, insofar as we all recognize them, (and in spite of the fact that most are biased by and based in the power structures that continually influence our perceptions of the world around us) most of them have some kernel of truth. That's a horribly un-pc statement to make, and I'm willing to argue it ad infinitum....but my point is that everyone is entitled to like who they want. If some white boy feels like only black women will make him happy, is that really so different from a black man who feels that way about black women, or an asian woman about asian men? Is there any middle ground between being a racist and a fetishist? If so, where is that middle ground? Ultimately, i think culture is a much more powerful construct than race in determining our similarities and our chances for maintaining a successful relationship. But none of that matters if you can't find a way to negotiate all the significant issues of "race" that inevitably crop up along the way. A Category like "race" may be able to tell you who absolutely would not work together. but they tell you little about whether or not two people can actually be happy together. I've seen enough odd couples to know that love doesn't discriminate across those lines: racial, gender, or otherwise.

If you have issues with white boys, I can't blame you. Being wary of white boys because of a bad experience is no different from my being gun-shy about relationships after being hurt by so many women. We all carry our scars most visibly when reaching out for someone to soothe them: our racism, our misogyny, our hatred. We're reaching with one hand and punching with the other, trying out hardest to just make it through unscathed. Given how difficult it is to maintain a relationship, adding on baggage (especially the power-fraught dynamic of racial baggage) can doom a relationship from the start. We all have scars. We've all had negative experiences that color our impressions of other people. But we need to be honest enough to admit that the person that refuses to date outside of their "race" is flawed in precisely the same ways as the person who burns a cross or wants to kill whitey.

One person can never effectively represent many...especially with relationships. If a black girl broke my heart, I'd probably have some issues myself. I understand all of the reasons to oppose interracial dating, but I think that all of them come down to letting out scars get in the way of finding something capable of healing them, and in the process, finding something capable of eliminating so much of what caused those scars in the first place.

Hope I made some sense.

love to love ya,
Matthew Charles Siegel

...I felt bad enough for writing a treatise, but I wanted to say that David Roediger's "The Wages of Whiteness" and especially Matthew Jacobson's "Whiteness of a Different Color" talk about the historicization of race, and how it's a completely artificial and arbitrary concept that has dramatically changed over time. Fifty years ago Jews weren't considered "white." A hundred and fifty years ago, neither were the Irish. It's only been recently that I "became white." You should check them out...especially the latter. I think it forces you to really reevaluate your concept of "race." Lemme know if you end up reading either of them. I'd be interested to hear what you think...MCS