Tuesday, May 10, 2005

its been a long time...

i shouldnt have left you -- i know... rakim said it best.

these past couple of days have been straight chaos... i apologize for the delayed response. anyone who knows me - knows that i try to keep it daily... but life be happenin' nahmeen?

let's go back, shall we (choreopoem style, of course)...

fri:
i lie in his arms after braiding baby's hair
waiting for clock to ring me farewell
my flight left first thing in the morning
but his hands resisted my absence
i will be back - i whispered... headed to JFK
airport
limped triumphantly to the terminal
and was whisked away like the DIVA i am :)

once i landed in California, 6 hours later
my ankle throbbed with a dull pain
but my heart ached for the air
driving 3 hours to Cal Poly
i was rewarded by hillside pictures and
warm sun massages i pulled into the
hotel lot.
found myself swallowed by thick
cotton sheets and smiled.
performed with buddy wakefield
and found my religion
it was wrapped inside the heart
of this 30-something year young
white man
blue eyes swirling my insecurties like
cotton candy
making them more beautiful for their
flaws
we shared a feast Mark, Jack, Ray and friends
laughed about life
before i was rescued by those welcoming sheets
and his voice in my dreams

sat:
woke up early...damn new york time difference
crunched stomach pains away
ate fruit bowls for breakfast
lounged on patio furniture
admiring green hillsides
like men love back sides
fell down a rabbit hole
tumbled into Cal Poly's leadership conference
and almost forgot to blink
inspired by James' community etnic intiative
(based in my high school hometown!)
viewed seattle's own grad student
break down the architecture of urban planning
and problem with WALMART
before we performed
i made mark cry
then
buddy made me cry...again
a mural exercise colored my need
black and with brown hues and yellow highlight
traced it with orange
stayed there

broke bread with Chanice (new feminist writer & ethnics instructor of cal poly)
shared ice cream (courtesy of james and mark)
laughed over everything in a warm lair
and hugged my new life lines goodbye... for now

sun:
home
finally...
kissed my daughter's sleeping face
tugged at her cheeks with my thumbs
smelled the soap in her hair
thanked god for her greatness

climbed into our bed
smelled the soap on his skin
thanked him with kisses for his greatness
thanked god for him in my life
sealed our night with winks
and laughs
retold the tale of days past
listened to his breathing pattern
pacing is important
i've learned this -- lovingly

mon:
no sleep
none
not really
ok a little
taught a class in brooklyn
another in bedstuy
rocked with slaughter and jive like rock stars
we are just that
get over it
taught another class in the city
topped with fruit stands and long lines
designer stores and rip off boutiques
pulsating with authority

we slam tonite. its the finals for the 13 team
anticipation can be treacherous
just like deception...
5 rounds of full fire
poetry poring out of our pores
and we danced in the light
togther as one...
kissed the heavens for for Carlos' & Jive's
induction into the 2005 team
there is a GOD

so there ya have it... we have spent this morning at the hospital getting my stitches removed. shared breakfast in brooklyn's hottest diner and now, i want to sleep in his arms before the school bell rings///

No comments: