Monday, May 30, 2005

making lemonade...

so practice had a crazy rocky start. and im sittin' there damn near pouting. i can't get with the half-assed attempts made by some of our team mates and i take the nationals seriously. maybe too seriously. i don't know. what i do know is -- there is a method to the planning of nationals so that once you get to the function - you can focus on having fun, rather than practicing! anywayz - big mike sat thru a lot of hell. all worth it for his guests. his wife is by far the realest "EVER". Maddy was serving Mike with the verbal punches for a good hour - i swear, i wanted to buy her a drink - even though the arbor mist was already empty. we talked about infidelity and how to NOT be STOOPID. the men sat there looking like, duhhh, and she had me cracking up so hard that i almost choked on the chips and dip!

life started to look better. i forgot (for the meanwhile) about my absent team members, i forgot about my slam master's family emergency, i forgot about all the hate and indecisiveness that i had been feelin' and just laughed. laughed my ass off. maddy has a way of sayin shyt that everybody already knows is true - but is just to care to speak. by the time flowmentalz came -- we were onto eating a pineapple orange cream cheese cake (which was the bomb!) and just cracking jokes. i asked about my friend doughboy and flow called him. before long -- we were headed to see doughboy at his gig for the night. he was dj'n @ a gogo bar (yes, tittie bar - difference between strip club is New Jersey law and prohibiting nakedness).

now i haven't been to a good strip club since i covered Luke's Freakfest for the magazine almost 4 years ago. so i was game. so we went to cinderlla's in elizabeth, nj. and i - the only woman in the crew had my hands full. rob hilton came thru and showed his ass -- for everyone. primo, maddy's cousin was a pure gentleman. flow drank beers like water and fawned over the bootylicious gangsta booties, and mike stood behind us critisizing every woman in sight (i.e., "look at her - she look like da joker from batman. yo! she got a bullet wound? aw hell - she just had a baby!"). and what about me you asked? well, when Rob wasn't trying to turn me out with the women (please ms dancer just look her in the eyes and kiss your breasts -- mo interjects "ma. don't listen to him. take this dolla and keep it moving. you doin' ya thang. don't sweat this fool!" the women were all very friendly to me, as we made jokes about my bar mates. i apologized for Rob several times and the women gave me high five on the way out. doughboy kept us on our toes, as he is the WORLD's GREATEST DJ! he played old school hip hop - house tracks and break bits. we were singing along to everything from Bobby Brown, Toni TOne TOny & Rakim. the mix was nuts, the ad libs (which is him singin' like an american idol to comedy skits like bernie mac) - my boy is talented! lol we barely made it out alive, Rob went to buy another drink and mike had enough of the bar. so we returned to linden's poetry casa like the poetry vets that we are, promising we would try this again @ southern fried regionals.

ps - i smiled so much, that i stopped being mad. which helps alot in my life right now. word.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn that Big Mike guy sounds pretty f'n cool... he must be a sexy bitch!

Raquita said...

I glad you had a great time I like to hear good things from you! Besides your poetry although your realism and outlook on life are what keeps me coming back to read.

ps I beleive most people have more in common than they truly think - they just have to get past the differences to see that.
pss I edited that post to give you a shout out on the format -

Be peaceful be poetry
or in your case stay poetry

OUT

Raquita said...

p.s.s.s
Who are your favorite poets? Mine are Suheir Hammad, Niki G , Sonya S, (I don't know if you would call Pablo neruda contemporary but I love him) as well as Nancy Morejon, Kevin Powell, Ntozake Shange. Locally I loved this poet named Chris Branch, but he passed away before a collection could be printed. I respect poetry read as much if not more most of the time. Puts me closer to the artist -I think .

Mahogany L. Browne said...

gurl please - don't worry bout editing... though, i love the shout out! hell, i love your daughter even more! she's adorable!

i was in st louis for the nat'ls -- i keep trying to remember if we met! no matter. we will meet soon *if not again* poetry is like that. crossing roads several times in a lifetime.

my fav poets: suheir (definitely), jivepoetic (im biased), buddy wakefield (incredible performance & strength) staceyann chin, roger bonair agard, sylvia plath, neruda (of course), sanchez (always), jayne cortez, asha bandele, sapphire, pearl cleage (her essays moreso than her novels), and kevin powell's essays as well. that's just the ones i read continuosly. wait till you see the vault! look forward to reading more from ya.

poetesscrystal said...

*Clears Throat*
Um.
I don't see my name in your "favorite poets" list.

:-) Hahaha just kiddin girl.

I just wanted you to know you've been on my mind, and I'm praying for you to continue with your peaceful heart. Don't let anyone steal your joy. Your sunshine is too bright for that.

P.S. You need me to pull out my vaseline and jack somebody up for you?

Okay so I can't fight.
But I can get Shekina and em to roll to BK need me.
Just say the word! hahahhaa

Be well

joey said...

damn mo....can i be you..just for one day...

Raquita said...

if you come to ST Louis - you can always stay on the superstar poet futon! Its been blessed by some of the best From the east coast. And I'm pretty sure I met eveyrbody I could at nationals I was hanging out with Queen Sheba most of the week though...
Cammy is the best baby- too cute -somedays I can't believe shes mine. I couldn't have made her any better if God had let me in on the process.. .

Mahogany L. Browne said...

joey: best time to come to NYC is july 16th (that third week). jive and i have our off broadway poetry production WORD4WORD... so you are cordially invited to come act a fool with us!

queue: thanks for the st. louis poetry underground map... always needed and appreciated!