Wednesday, February 02, 2005

the hate

so the mcdonald's commercial has been causing a lot of commotion throughout the poetry community and i'm thinking - damn. people are hating left and right. evil ass blogs condeming her. people citing her as the end of poetry as we know it!

now, im a bit biased. i know the systa who recorded the commercial with a "stereotypical" love jones flow. she is a very sweet lady and supportive as hell. and i wasn't mad. i feel like - i rather a poet get paid to be a poet than an actor get paid to be a poet.

2 comments:

Amanda Johnston said...

I feel the same way. I thought it was corny as all hell but I thought the same way about the Pepsi commercial Shihan was in. I thought he did a great job just that the whole premise was corny. I do, however, LOVE the one with Common spit for HIV/AIDS awareness. It's beautiful. Knowing is beautiful. I was corny just then but you get me meaning. Is the woman doing the voiceover a poet? Did she write that green poem/commercial? That would probably help other poets chill if they knew she was a poet trying to make a dime. I wonder if these same poets would be mad if Taylor Mali did a poem/commercial for Burger King. Just wondering.

Manda

M.C. Siegel said...

Hey, don't hate! I'm actually going to be doing a new spoken word spot for Massengill Douche! Is there really any better use for poetry than pushing douche bags? Not if you ask me. Corporate whoredom rules!!!