Tuesday, February 22, 2005

inspiration: patricia smith

so im surfing the web... i love this woman. she sent me a book of her work after we slammed against each other at Bar 13 (i slammed with this 4 times or is 5 times national indie winner!?) anyway, i've been accepted into a writing program that she is facilitating. and i am so anxious! here is just a small portion of her greatness!

inspired...

Medusa
Poseidon was easier than most.He calls himself a god,but he fell beneath my fingerswith more shaking than any mortal.He wept when my robe fell from my shoulders.I made him bend his back for me,listened to his screams break like waves.We defiled that temple the way it should be defiled,screaming and bucking our way from corner to corner.The bitch goddess probably got a real kick out of that.I'm sure I'll be hearing from her.She'll give me nightmares for a week or so;that I can handle.Or she'll turn the water in my well into blood;I'll scream when I see it,and that will be that.Maybe my first child will be born with the head of a fish.I'm not even sure it was worth it,Poseidon pounding away at me, a madman,losing his immortal mindbecause of the way my copper skin swells in moonlight.Now my arms smoke and itch.Hard scales cover my wrists like armour.C'mon Athena, he was only another lay,and not a particularly good one at that,even though he can spit steam from his fingers.Won't touch him again. Promise.And we didn't mean to drop to our kneesin your temple,but our bodies were so hot and misaligned.It's not every day a gal gets to sample a god,you know that.

-- excerpt from Patricia Smith's poem medusa

No comments: