Sunday, May 01, 2005

me, me, mo me...

what i am reading right now:
smoking lovely by willie perdomo & shake loose my skin by sonia sanchez & some if us did not die by june jordan

what i am listening to:
neighborhoods: olu dara, the jazz singer: eddie jefferson & self titled: saul williams

what i am wearing:
boxers, t-shirt and a soft cast.

what i am working on:
the newest album: something beautiful, a book of poems with a beautiful woman in london and the final edits of the re-revised and revamped book of poems and antecdotes: destroy rebuild and other reconstructions of the human muscle.

what i look forward to:
summer fun. a brief stint touring the states and overseas in october, going to school @ NYU in fall, sex during daybreak, our poetry production @ an off-broadway theatre, and my first pedicure once the cast is completely off!

what annoys me:
stalkers, bad people posing as good poets (arghh), fake revolutionaries (poets again), pedophiles and deadbeat dads.

what motto i live by:
i live by two: the infamous "do unto others..." and my favorite quicker picker upper: "woman is the nigger of the world" by yoko ono.

what i want to change about myself:
my unforgiveness and ability to hold grudges, my greeness/naivete which allows underserving people an opportunity to break my heart.

what i love about myself:
i love hard, play hard, work hard & am loyal

what i dreamt last nite:
i don't remember (smirk)

what i'm feenin' for:
mike's diner. the one place that every artist (struggling and otherwise) has frequented while living/visiting brooklyn.

what i regret:
losing touch with my mother, losing contact with my mag fam, being homeless in nyc (2000), chicago natl's (2003) & london (2004).

what i learned:
the only one who has your best interest at heart is you. don't depend on NO ONE.

where i would move if i left nyc:
i used to think london was my first choice - until i realized they had the same type of seedy individuals that roam the under belly of NYC, so i'm thinking austin, tx. they have the big city activites (which i need) and the southern hospitality that i'm accoustmed to (i.e., consideration factor!)

what is my most extreme story while on tour:
i don't know. there are several. because i named the times i was homeless already (2 of those happened on tour) i will touch a couple of other incidents. 1)while in denver, a promoter was beef'n with another promoter and in turn took it out on me - asking me to PAY a fee just so i could sell my cd's after my performance! 2) when jive and i travled to holland via fleet ship. however, he forgot his passport and got turned away at the border (it was much worse for him). 3) i toured europe non-stop for 31 days. that shyt was hard! i couldn't even remember my name at certain points! it was really bad - the pay was great, but my body definitely paid for that crap. i would have 2 shows and a day full of workshops in ONE DAY. i was so tired, i was missing my coach back to bristol, got stranded in london after a crazy-hot shortman show and almost missed my workshops the next day in bristol. brutal!!!

what is my biggest mistake in this career:
the contract i signed with HBO after featured with the punany poets. they resold that damn segment to 5 other stations and we got 90 bucks after taxes! das dat bullshyt!

what inspires me:
my daughter, my man, my family and certain contemporary poets.

what's my favorite outfit:
anything with a jean jacket and shell toes. cute cut-up shirts and sexy boots.

what's my favorite word:
shadows (this word changes every quarter or so).

what's my biggest secret:
i don't have any... anymore.

what is the biggest lie i ever told:
no grandma, i'm not pregnant.

2 comments:

Amanda Johnston said...

"no grandma, i'm not pregnant."
If that's not a poem waiting to be written I don't know what is.

And speaking of jean jackets - go to the following link for a pic of us rocking the damn thing! http://www.amandajohnston.com/images/100_2719.JPG

There are other pictures on the photo page at www.amandajohnston.com

Like freeze pops and sour heads,
manda

my coffee is always said...

Gotcha... I did the same...
miss ya...